In our KC Door to Door Organics box this week came a bag of precious little Meyer Lemons. That means dessert is nigh in this house. If you’re not familiar with Meyer Lemons, they are often smaller and rounder than regular lemons, and they tend to be slightly sweeter and a touch less acidic and sour. If that doesn’t scream, “Bake me into muffins!” I don’t know what does.
For those of you who don’t know about KC Door to Door Organics, it’s a company that partners with farmers (oftentimes local!) to deliver fresh, organic produce and groceries to your home or business. You can completely customize your box, indicating whether you prefer all fruits, all veggies, or a mixture of both, and can specify your particular likes and dislikes so you never get something you hate in your box. Plus you can swap stuff out during the few days before your delivery if something just doesn’t mesh with your menu that week. It’s been a great opportunity for us to try lots of new produce, and shake things up a bit in our weekly menus. Not to mention, the produce is often as local as possible, so that feels good. Oh yeah, and it knocked about $30 off my weekly grocery bill. I’m a part of the co-op at my company that gets a discounted rate, and I have set my account to get a delivery every Tuesday at the office. I recommend checking it out!
I’ve got some left over invite promo codes if any of you want to try KC Door to Door Organics out. The promo code gives you 50% off your first box. Just email me or comment on this post and I’d be happy to send you one.
So without further adieu, here is the super fast and easy Meyer Lemon Poppyseed Muffins recipe for your enjoyment. You’ll have fresh, warm, fluffy lemon poppy seed muffins in a half hour or so!
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3-4 teaspoons Meyer lemon zest
- 5-6 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper muffin cups.
- Mix the sugar and lemon zest together with your fingers. Squeeze and smoosh it until your mixture becomes Meyer lemony fragrant and the sugar is a little moist.
- Whisk in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, eggs, vanilla extract and melted butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients mixture over the dry ingredients mixture and blend gently with a spatula. Add the poppy seeds. Do not over mix. This is a thick muffin batter.
- Bake in your preheated 400-degree oven for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes or so, then remove from the muffin tin.