This recipe is almost identical to the one found at SpoonForkBacon.com, so go see Jenny’s to see the original. I was going to change it up more than I did and add a cream cheese poppyseed frosting, but to be completely honest with you, I got tired. The dishes had piled up so high from baking cookies and cooking dinner that I just wanted to give up and go to bed instead. I didn’t add the pearl sugar at the end because like I said I wanted to add frosting. If I change my mind tomorrow, I’ll add more pictures, but for now…
Quick and easy homemade lemon blueberry cookies recipe. No kitchen mixer required for this blueberry lemon cookie recipe!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 15-ounce can blueberries in light syrup, rinsed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In one mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, Greek yogurt, beaten egg, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients mixture to the wet ingredients mixture in about three parts, and stir until blended.
- Rinse the canned blueberries and gently fold them into the cookie batter.
- Use a cookie scoop or spoon to drop approx. 2 tablespoons of cookie batter for each cookie an inch or two apart on the baking sheet. (Jenny at SFP would have you sprinkle a pinch of pearl sugar on top of them here.)
- Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, just until the edges begin to brown. Remove from oven and transfer to wire cooling rack.
Recipe Copyright Fifty-Two Cakes 2012
I saw giant, delicious-looking blueberries at Trader Joe’s this weekend and they looked so fabulous and the price was right so I decided I’d make this week’s cake a blueberry cake recipe. It’s simple, straightforward and delicious. So this is a simple blueberry cake that is great on its own, but I doubled the recipe to make two layers and a lemon curd filling with a lemon cream cheese frosting. I have a long way to go before I’m any good at frosting cakes (even after my cake decorating class) but it was great practice.
Blueberry Cake Recipe Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus extra to coat blueberries
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus 1 tablespoon additional
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
Blueberry Cake Recipe Directions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare an 8- or 9-inch pan. I used my 9″ round pans this week. In a large mixing bowl, blend the softened butter, and the first half-cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Add the salt and vanilla. Then add the egg yolks one at a time and beat until the mixture is creamy. In a separate bowl, combine the first cup and a half of flour and baking powder. Alternate mixing that and the milk into the batter. In a separate bowl, coat the washed fresh blueberries with the one tablespoon of flour. Fold into the batter. In a separate, very clean bowl with very clean mixers, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Add the next 1/4 cup of sugar, about a tablespoon at a time, and beat until you get stiff peaks. Fold into the blueberry cake batter with a spatula. Pour the blueberry cake batter into your prepared pan and bake for about 45 minutes, or until your cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, and the cake springs back when gently pressed.
Lemon Curd Filling Recipe Ingredients
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
Lemon Curd Filling Recipe Directoins
Whisk the eggs, sugar and lemon juice together in a stainless steel bowl double boiler with simmering water. Stir constantly until the lemon curd mixture thickens (about 10 minutes). Remove the lemon curd mixture from the heat and press through a fine mesh strainer to get rid of lumps. Whisk the softened butter into the lemon curd mixture until it’s completely melted, then add the lemon zest. Cover and refrigerate immediately until you need it. Cook and chill longer to get a thicker lemon curd.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Ingredients
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe Directions
Beat the cream cheese and butter together in the kitchen mixer. Add the powdered sugar in 2 or 3 additions. Blend in the vanilla and lemon juice. Add more lemon juice in small increments as needed to get a more spreadable texture if you need to. This makes enough lemon cream cheese frosting to ice a two-layer cake if the layers are about 1.5″ to 2″ tall.