Every would-be, wanna-be, and will-be baker should know how to make peanut butter cookies. These are a great one to pull out of your hat for almost any event, and they’re such a delicious little comfort food. I never knew why we do the “criss-cross” pattern on the top of peanut butter cookies (anyone out there know the answer?) but the simple visual cue of seeing those little hash marks gives me a little tingle of joy knowing I’m about to bite into something incredible. My husband said he was craving a great peanut butter cookie, and with fall setting in here in Kansas City I just happen to have the urge to bake a little more often, so he got lucky. Just a heads up on this before we start the recipe – plan ahead for these. They require a little chill time in the refrigerator.
Try this easy, classic recipe for how to make peanut butter cookies. Every baker needs a great peanut butter cookie recipe in his or her repertoire!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- Soften butter to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, white sugar and brown sugar.
- Add the eggs and beat just until blended.
- Add the vanilla extract and peanut butter and mix well.
- Begin adding the dry ingredient mixture about 1/3 at a time, beating just until blended.
- Cover and refrigerate the peanut butter cookie dough for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drop rounded balls (or use your cookie scoop!) onto the parchment paper.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes, depending on how crunchy or soft you like your peanut butter cookies.
- Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Convince yourself you're just going to have one, then devour about a dozen in one sitting.
- Cover up the evidence so no one knows about your lack of self-control.